Saturday, May 11, 2013

10 days post-op

I can't sleep for the life of me right now, so I guess it's probably a good time to write a blog entry!

As of yesterday (Friday) I was 10 days post-op. Every day leading up to this so far has been filled with meltdowns, tears, restlessness, lots of pain, and fudging around with medications to figure out a combination that would work for me. I was started on Norco, which wasn't doing much by itself other than making me sick. I have been wearing anti-nausea patches since the night before my surgery, and in they hospital they started me on anti-nausea pills as well. Once I determined the Norco wasn't working for me, I called my surgeon asking for a new prescription and he put me on Percocet. That alone still was not enough so I called again and had to add Valium as a muscle relaxer to the mix, which I think is finally the magic combination. I just started the Valium yesterday on top of my pain and nausea meds, and I was able to do SO much more than I had been in previous days! Yesterday I think I spent more time up and about than I did laying in bed. I am now able to do most things without the help of my walker. I can get in and out of bed as I please, walk around, get myself snacks (that are within reach, anyway) sit at the computer, and I even cleaned the kitchen a little bit! Everyone is saying that moving around is the key to recovery, so I've just resigned myself to the fact that I need to do more of it. I will try to do the same tomorrow. I might even take my first shower tomorrow! We'll see. If not tomorrow, then Sunday. My incision isn't looking as gnarly as I thought, and the only actual part of the incision that causes me pain is at the very bottom where they had plugged in my drainage tubes. Not a pretty sight. I also have to take laxatives daily because the narcotics slow down your digestive tract. And on top of that I am also taking Prilosec for heartburn, and Calcium pills to help my fusion heal more quickly. I am so sick of swallowing pills by now! 

I have to say though I am really pleased with what I can see of my correction so far. My scoliosis seems to be completely gone (since it was pretty minor to begin with) and my kyphosis has been reduced considerably. I still have a bit of a hump at the top of my back where it meets my neck, but I am hoping that is a postural thing that I will be able to work on with exercise and physical therapy in the future. I don't have an appointment with Dr. Roh until 6 weeks post-op, so it'll be awhile before I can see my xrays. But for now, look at the awesome before and after that I do have right now! 

Before & After

Look at the difference! I finally have a normal waistline, everything is more even, and I don't have such a large hump anymore! I am so excited. I can't wait until the swelling goes down and the steri-strips come off so I can really see what I am working with now. I even had Jon measure me. I started out at 5'5.5", and when he measured me yesterday we got around 5'7.5". I think I grew two inches! I'll know for sure at my 6 week visit when they measure me and everything.

Even just looking at that picture I would say that all the shit I've gone through in the past couple weeks has been totally worth it. I know it's not over yet, but I am starting to really think I made the right decision. :)

I'll keep updating as things progress.

Bent but not broken,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment